FeedForAll Forum Index  
 Home  •  FAQ  •   Search   •  Register   •  Profile   •  Log in
 2 questions regarding rss feeds View next topic
View previous topic
h4r00n

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi guys,

I am new to rss feeds and I have a couple of questions:

I have set up rss feeds for my website and I want to know if I have to manually updated my xml file for subscribers to get the latest or can this be updated automatically? It is a recruitment website so it can be time consuming for me to manually update the xml file with jobs.

Also, how to I edit the way they are displayed so that unread feeds are a different colour to read feeds? At the moment they are all showing up as read so it can be confusing for a subscriber to know which they have read.

Thanks
Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

h4r00n wrote:
I have set up rss feeds for my website and I want to know if I have to manually updated my xml file for subscribers to get the latest or can this be updated automatically? It is a recruitment website so it can be time consuming for me to manually update the xml file with jobs.

Well, that really depends. If you have everything in an SQL database, you could theoretically use our SQL2RSS script to autopublish any changes you make to the database... but regardless of how you do it, there's still going to be a manual part of the update. Any time you add new content to the feed, in order for people subscribed to the feed to see the new content, you'll have to republish the feed.

Quote:
Also, how to I edit the way they are displayed so that unread feeds are a different colour to read feeds? At the moment they are all showing up as read so it can be confusing for a subscriber to know which they have read.

This is something that you don't have direct control over. Different feed readers will display things differently. For example, I use a feed Reader called Snarfer and I can tell Snarfer that I want all content earlier than X date to be marked as viewed and anything that has today's date to be marked as unread. I can also tell it to mark everything as read or unread. Now, IE's Feed Reader and FireFox's Feed Reader have different options and different settings.

spicer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If your website isn't based on SQL, you might want to look into some of the programs that will scan your site for new pages, and add them (using titles and meta description) to your feed. It's not as accurate and hands-off as it can be if your site is database driven, but it's a better way to manage updates than doing it manually.
fixpod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

will this same rule work on mysql ?
View user's profileSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
damianjulio81

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fixpod wrote:
will this same rule work on mysql ?

Will it work on mysql? Hmm... this seems interesting. I'd like to see the answer for this question. I only have a few minor experiences with this
technicalities so I haven't tested these waters yet. It's just that I'm so
concerned with the several intricacies. So, I never really bothered because
of the fear that I might do something to 'screw it all up.'

I hope someone brings an answer to this issue.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic