Home  •  FAQ  •   Search   •  Register   •  Profile   •  Log in
 Cannot get RSS subscription to show updates made on website View next topic
View previous topic
jcinpvaz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The site: http://www.pmug.us
The XML: http://www.pmug.us/PMUG.xml
This is a top level site.

I have used NetNewsWire and the Mac Mail to try to show any updates made to the website to no avail.
When I make a change to a page in the website, I update the Item in FFA and I click on the automatic date button in both the item and the Feeds, then publish the XML file and the page.
I have even unsubscribed and subscribed several times.

It seemed to work at first. Doesn't work at all anymore.
Do I need an XML on every page in the website?
Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm... that's a bit odd. I've subscribed to your feed for the purposes of testing. If you would, please upload a change or a new item, something different and I'll see if it shows up in both the code on the site and as a notification in my RSS Reader.

jcinpvaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have updated the index.html page - I only changed the Title of the page.
Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You'll have to pardon my confusion but why did you open the index.html page? It's... unrelated to the Feed and the xml content contained therein.

jcinpvaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

20 minutes after updating the title, I did a refresh of the RSS feed and looked at the XML source. The title has not changed and the date for the home page has not changed.
jcinpvaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tech Support wrote:
You'll have to pardon my confusion but why did you open the index.html page? It's... unrelated to the Feed and the xml content contained therein.

And now I'm confused. The index.html page is the home page for the website. The PMUG.xml file is saved in the root directory of the website along with index.html. The index.html is an item of the feed.

It appears that the feed only updates late at night instead of at the time the update happens.
jcinpvaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

After changing the title of the feed (from "PMUG website" to "Prescott Mac Users Group (PMUG) website"), I unsubscribed to the old feed and subscribed to the new feed. I still get the title of the old feed.
jcinpvaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And by the way, what do I do with "PMUG.xml.plist"?
Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure what the .plist file is, it isn't generated by FeedForAll. When you make a change to the html of your homepage, that doesn't really do anything with the Feed. You have to make a change to the feed itself, then re-upload the feed so the website receives the changes that you've made. When you do that, the people who have subscribed to your feed will see any new items that you've posted to the feed.

jcinpvaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tech Support wrote:
I'm not sure what the .plist file is, it isn't generated by FeedForAll.

Now that's interesting. the .plist file gets updated every time I make a change to the .xml file with FFA. So to me, that file IS generated by FFA. I didn't create it, nor is it accessible by FFA. Here's the content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ImageLastPublished</key>
<date>1970-01-01T00:00:00Z</date>
<key>LastPublished</key>
<date>1970-01-01T00:00:00Z</date>
<key>LocalEnclosureFileInfo</key>
<dict/>
<key>UniqueIdentifier</key>
<string>265AB95A-B706-4FBA-94B5-A392818D985B-8472-00013439BDE93333</string>
<key>feedFileName</key>
<string>PMUG.xml</string>
<key>feedURL</key>
<string>file://localhost/Users/jcarter/Sites/pmug/PMUG.xml</string>
<key>isTransient</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Tech Support wrote:
When you make a change to the html of your homepage, that doesn't really do anything with the Feed. You have to make a change to the feed itself, then re-upload the feed so the website receives the changes that you've made. When you do that, the people who have subscribed to your feed will see any new items that you've posted to the feed.

Again, very interesting. Are we talking about FeedForAll? I HAVE to make a change in the item for the page that I have made changes to, and the item is just one aspect of the total feed. If I have made a change in an item, that, to me, is the same as making a change in the feed. I don't want to be making changes in the description of the feed each time I make a change in the description of an item, so all I do for the feed is click the Smart Date button AFTER I click the Smart Date button for the item, then I save it and export to the website. And in my view, updating the Date should be the ONLY thing that triggers an RSS feed update.

So why does it take so long to see the update in the RSS feed? It's been four hours and 50 minutes since I last updated the index.html and PMUG.xml files.

I gather now you just wanted me to make a change in the .XML file. Well, that doesn't make the RSS feed update right away either.

Now let me see if I'm getting this right: should I have a completely separate feed for each page in my website? That makes no sense to me. What is an "item" for if not for the separate pages in a website?
Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, I think I'm getting a bit confused. Or was a bit confused.

In any event, you have a feed. When you make a change to that feed, any change at all, you have to re-upload the feed to the website so that anyone that has subscribed to your feed can see the changes that you've made. Now, on some web servers, this may take several hours if they don't refresh their DNS very often. Check with your web service provider for a timeframe on when an average update should propogate out through the net.

Any time you make a change to an HTML page, that change is not reflected within your feed unless you modify one of your items or create some sort of content within the feed. The HTML and the XML are completely separate creatures.

As for the .plist file, it isn't a file the FFA generates automatically but it may be a file that your web server generates for XML based content on your site. That may be why it updates or is recreated each time you re-upload the feed.

Quote:
Again, very interesting. Are we talking about FeedForAll? I HAVE to make a change in the item for the page that I have made
changes to, and the item is just one aspect of the total feed. If I have made a change in an item, that, to me, is the same
as making a change in the feed. I don't want to be making changes in the description of the feed each time I make a change in
the description of an item, so all I do for the feed is click the Smart Date button AFTER I click the Smart Date button for
the item, then I save it and export to the website. And in my view, updating the Date should be the ONLY thing that triggers
an RSS feed update.

Now this part I was a little interested in and confused by. I really don't understand what it is you're trying to communicate. Youre' right, one item is only one aspect of the total feed. If you make a change to an item, it IS the same thing as making a change to the feed. That's why you have to re-upload the feed after the changes are made, otherwise they won't show up.

jcinpvaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="Tech Support"]In any event, you have a feed. When you make a change to that feed, any change at all, you have to re-upload the feed to the website so that anyone that has subscribed to your feed can see the changes that you've made./quote]

And that is what I'm doing.

Tech Support wrote:
Now, on some web servers, this may take several hours if they don't refresh their DNS very often.

This is beginning to make sense.

Tech Support wrote:
Check with your web service provider for a timeframe on when an average update should propogate out through the net.

Will do.

Tech Support wrote:
Any time you make a change to an HTML page, that change is not reflected within your feed unless you modify one of your items or create some sort of content within the feed. The HTML and the XML are completely separate creatures.

That's well understood. That's what I'm doing.

Tech Support wrote:
As for the .plist file, it isn't a file the FFA generates automatically but it may be a file that your web server generates for XML based content on your site. That may be why it updates or is recreated each time you re-upload the feed.

That makes sense too.

Tech Support wrote:
Youre' right, one item is only one aspect of the total feed. If you make a change to an item, it IS the same thing as making a change to the feed. That's why you have to re-upload the feed after the changes are made, otherwise they won't show up.

I'm sure we're on the same page now. It appears that my "problem" is a "feature" of the web hosting service.
levimeyerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm new to this and am trying to figure out how to put a link on my php site, east bay area family law , to my rss feed. How can this be done?

FeedForAll Sales

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

For people to subscribe to your RSS feeds, use on your website:

Graphics: http://www.feedforall.com/graphics.htm

Auto Discovery code: http://www.feedforall.com/autodiscovery.htm

You can also load the rss2html.php script to automatically display RSS feeds as HTML on your PHP website. Download the free rss2html.php script at http://www.feedforall.com/scripts-directory.htm

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic