FeedForAll Forum Index  
 Home  •  FAQ  •   Search   •  Register   •  Profile   •  Log in
 updates to slowly View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
jay



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hello,

I think your script is really great and i got it working so far.
But there is a little problem i got:
I am merging 3 feeds right now, and then display rssMesh.php with rss2html.
the problem is, that altho the 3 feeds update, it takes ages until the updates occur in the rssMesh feed.
How can i fix that?
Is it possible to have the rssMesh to update immediately?

thank you for your help
View user's profile
MacSupport



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 2805

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jay wrote:
hello,

I think your script is really great and i got it working so far.
But there is a little problem i got:
I am merging 3 feeds right now, and then display rssMesh.php with rss2html.
the problem is, that altho the 3 feeds update, it takes ages until the updates occur in the rssMesh feed.
How can i fix that?
Is it possible to have the rssMesh to update immediately?

thank you for your help


In the RSSMesh configuration there are cache settings, for how often the feeds are read.

Jim

_________________
Be sure to check out the FeedForAll Mac tutorials at: http://www.FeedForAll.com/tutorials/

FeedForAll Mac and rss2html.php
support@FeedForAll.com
View user's profileVisit poster's website
jay



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MacSupport wrote:

In the RSSMesh configuration there are cache settings, for how often the feeds are read.

Jim


is that the
Quote:
"feedTTL" => "10"
?? coz i got that on 10 for every feed but still the entries dont show right away...
View user's profile
MacSupport



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 2805

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jay wrote:
MacSupport wrote:

In the RSSMesh configuration there are cache settings, for how often the feeds are read.

Jim


is that the
Quote:
"feedTTL" => "10"
?? coz i got that on 10 for every feed but still the entries dont show right away...


There is also "UseOutputCaching" and "OutputCacheTTL"

Jim

_________________
Be sure to check out the FeedForAll Mac tutorials at: http://www.FeedForAll.com/tutorials/

FeedForAll Mac and rss2html.php
support@FeedForAll.com
View user's profileVisit poster's website
jay



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MacSupport wrote:
jay wrote:
MacSupport wrote:

In the RSSMesh configuration there are cache settings, for how often the feeds are read.

Jim


is that the
Quote:
"feedTTL" => "10"
?? coz i got that on 10 for every feed but still the entries dont show right away...


There is also "UseOutputCaching" and "OutputCacheTTL"

Jim

so what should be the settings for all of that, so that it updates immediately? (if possible)
View user's profile
MacSupport



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 2805

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

jay wrote:
so what should be the settings for all of that, so that it updates immediately? (if possible)


If you disable caching and set the TTLs to 0 then it will update every time it is accessed. But this is will cause much slower page loading since it will have to fetch all of the feeds every time and then process them. That is why there is caching.

Jim

_________________
Be sure to check out the FeedForAll Mac tutorials at: http://www.FeedForAll.com/tutorials/

FeedForAll Mac and rss2html.php
support@FeedForAll.com
View user's profileVisit poster's website
jay



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MacSupport wrote:
jay wrote:
so what should be the settings for all of that, so that it updates immediately? (if possible)


If you disable caching and set the TTLs to 0 then it will update every time it is accessed. But this is will cause much slower page loading since it will have to fetch all of the feeds every time and then process them. That is why there is caching.

Jim


hmm i did that but somehow it still doesnt update...
would it maybe help if only parts of each rss feed are fetched? because i really just need the headlines of each entry to be fetched.
can i tell rssMesh to do that?

really appreciate you helping me out here
View user's profile
MacSupport



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 2805

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

jay wrote:
MacSupport wrote:
jay wrote:
so what should be the settings for all of that, so that it updates immediately? (if possible)


If you disable caching and set the TTLs to 0 then it will update every time it is accessed. But this is will cause much slower page loading since it will have to fetch all of the feeds every time and then process them. That is why there is caching.

Jim


hmm i did that but somehow it still doesnt update...
would it maybe help if only parts of each rss feed are fetched? because i really just need the headlines of each entry to be fetched.
can i tell rssMesh to do that?

really appreciate you helping me out here


Each feed is one file, so the whole file has to be fetched to extract the wanted information.

Jim

_________________
Be sure to check out the FeedForAll Mac tutorials at: http://www.FeedForAll.com/tutorials/

FeedForAll Mac and rss2html.php
support@FeedForAll.com
View user's profileVisit poster's website
jay



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

well ok then.
that the updating takes so long, might it have something to do with the fact that each feed comes from a different server, not on the one the script is located on??
View user's profile
MacSupport



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 2805

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

jay wrote:
well ok then.
that the updating takes so long, might it have something to do with the fact that each feed comes from a different server, not on the one the script is located on??


That is the main reason to use caching on the input of feeds. Are you using caching with rss2html?

Jim

_________________
Be sure to check out the FeedForAll Mac tutorials at: http://www.FeedForAll.com/tutorials/

FeedForAll Mac and rss2html.php
support@FeedForAll.com
View user's profileVisit poster's website
jay



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MacSupport wrote:
jay wrote:
well ok then.
that the updating takes so long, might it have something to do with the fact that each feed comes from a different server, not on the one the script is located on??


That is the main reason to use caching on the input of feeds. Are you using caching with rss2html?

Jim

no, i got it set to 0 in both, rssMesh and rss2html
View user's profile
MacSupport



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 2805

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jay wrote:
MacSupport wrote:
jay wrote:
well ok then.
that the updating takes so long, might it have something to do with the fact that each feed comes from a different server, not on the one the script is located on??


That is the main reason to use caching on the input of feeds. Are you using caching with rss2html?

Jim

no, i got it set to 0 in both, rssMesh and rss2html


Okay. I would recommend using input caching, but set it to small values like 300 or 600 seconds. And disable output caching.

Jim

_________________
Be sure to check out the FeedForAll Mac tutorials at: http://www.FeedForAll.com/tutorials/

FeedForAll Mac and rss2html.php
support@FeedForAll.com
View user's profileVisit poster's website
jay



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, now i got
rss2html.php
Quote:
$allowCachingXMLFiles = 1;


rssMesh.php
Quote:
$allowCachingXMLFiles = 1;


rssMesh Config.php
Quote:
$useOutputCaching = 0;

Quote:
$outputCacheTTL = 0;

in there, on each feed:
Quote:
"feedTTL" => "300"



still no immediate update :(
View user's profile
MacSupport



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 2805

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jay wrote:
OK, now i got
rss2html.php
Quote:
$allowCachingXMLFiles = 1;


rssMesh.php
Quote:
$allowCachingXMLFiles = 1;


rssMesh Config.php
Quote:
$useOutputCaching = 0;

Quote:
$outputCacheTTL = 0;

in there, on each feed:
Quote:
"feedTTL" => "300"



still no immediate update :(


You want do set "$allowCachingXMLFiles = 0;" in rss2html.php, that is what is causing you caching delay. The default caching time is 1 day.

Jim

_________________
Be sure to check out the FeedForAll Mac tutorials at: http://www.FeedForAll.com/tutorials/

FeedForAll Mac and rss2html.php
support@FeedForAll.com
View user's profileVisit poster's website
jay



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hmm ok, i did that. but right now i am only refreshing rssMesh.php anyway to see whether the entry is fetched or not...
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


 Jump to:   



View next topic
View previous topic


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group :: FI Theme