FeedForAll Forum Index  
 Home  •  FAQ  •   Search   •  Register   •  Profile   •  Log in
 Can multiple podcast segments be downloaded simultaneously? View next topic
View previous topic
foxdenbrooks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Each weekday, I download 12 individual segments of a morning radio show’s 4-hour podcast. The link for doing this is http://www.acetj.com/listen/#. Under the “Daily Download” section, you click on any of the segments for a specific date and a Media Player pops up with all 12 segments for that date, including their names. To download each segment, you simply right-click and do a Save target as… and then save it on your hard drive. Unfortunately, this player is limited to one segment download at a time.

They are in the process of allowing downloads from another website, http://TotalAceTJ.com, which is rerouted for the time being to http://podcast.acetj.com/home/. On this new website, the daily podcast can be downloaded from the home page by right-clicking on the name of the segment, and then clicking on the option “Download this clip”, and saving it to your hard drive. The new website allows users to download two segments at a time. You can actually go thru the process of right-clicking and the downloading each clip, but only two segments at a time are processed. As one finishes, the next one downloads.

Is there some way to download the entire daily podcast – all 12 segments – at once, rather than clicking on each individual link to download each segment? Also, is there anyway to get the descriptive name of the segment to download as well as the actual name of the mp3 file? For example, the fourth segment from Friday, September 5, is named “Stupid News”, but when you right-click and choose to “Download this clip” to your hard drive, the actually name of the segment’s mp3 file – 09050807a – is the only thing that is downloaded, unless you rename the segment when you “select location for download by podcast.acetj.com” by adding it to the mp3 filename to become “09050807a – Stupid News”.

I did e-mail the webmaster for the new site and he suggested searching the knowledge base on how to change download limitations at Microsoft.com, but warned that it’s risky because it involves changing registry entries. He later added that he performed the changes on his end and it will now allow for eight downloads at a time without depleting all resources on his laptop. He explained that the Windows operating system is set up this way so that all resources will not be consumed by downloads. He said that on his Linux system, he can download 100 mp3’s at a time without any problems. I would prefer not to change registry entries if at all possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of a different forum that this could be posted, please let me know.

Thank you
Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The limit of two downloads at a time may be a limit set in your browser, not a limit by the webserver itself.

foxdenbrooks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How would I change the limit of downloads set in my browser?
Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know what browser you have, but here is how to do it in firefox:

http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/07/30/how-to-increase-the-number-of-simultaneous-download-limit-in-firefox/

For more info, try searching on google for something like:

set browser simultaneous downloads

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic