FeedForAll Forum Index  
 Home  •  FAQ  •   Search   •  Register   •  Profile   •  Log in
 Best Practices - can't wrap my brain around how to.... View next topic
View previous topic
CurrentWave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay - so I now understand how to make feeds (technically) but how to make them useful and user friendly is escaping me....

I have pages of informational mp3s (around 200 per page) which are offered for free from non-profits. All new mp3's for this year are on one page. Older mp3's are archived into series sets organized by date. I assume most people visit the recent page and scroll to the last entry since all are dated. Then if they have the time they may go and search the other page categories.

Now for my fog questions - regarding podcasts specifically, but also RSS in general.

Do I set up an individual podcast for each mp3 (Oy the pain) or one feed per page, or what?
    How much stuff should be in one feed? Please be specific.
    How can I stream line this task of creating so many feeds?
    If I make the feeds iTunes ready will others using RSS readers like Google be able to see when I add a new item to a feed? Okay - I'm totally new to this :-)
    Seems like iTunes downloads the mp3's, but other readers just offer links to them so if clicked they will play - is this correct? I really want to not have these mp3's playing off the server.

Everywhere I look I read how to make feeds physically, but not how to make feeds best practices.... no one wants to tell others how to present their content. This is exactly what I'm looking for - what's the best way to offer my content in feed(s)?

Thank you for all your help and wisdom.
Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

CurrentWave wrote:
Do I set up an individual podcast for each mp3 (Oy the pain) or one feed per page, or what?
How much stuff should be in one feed? Please be specific.

Well, the answer is, it's up to you. Creating one podcast per mp3 you have would be horribly inefficient but you could do it if you wanted each podcast to be completely separate from every other podcast.

My recommendation would be to create the podcasts and feeds based on groupings. Group all of the fishing podcasts together and have just one big Fishing feed, for example.

Quote:
How can I stream line this task of creating so many feeds?

Use FeedForAll. It'll let you create and maintain all of your feeds and it also allows you to organize everything pretty much the way you want it. It'll be one of the more efficient ways to create and maintain that much content.

Quote:
If I make the feeds iTunes ready will others using RSS readers like Google be able to see when I add a new item to a feed?

Yes, other feed readers will still be able to subscribe to, and view, the Feeds themselves. The iTunes enclosures will only display in iTunes, so there may be some content that the regular Feed Readers won't be able to see.

CurrentWave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh this is great! I know my problem is I haven't ever received feeds so I have no base to judge all this from.

Thank you so much!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic