FeedForAll Forum Index  
 Home  •  FAQ  •   Search   •  Register   •  Profile   •  Log in
 Constrain RSS Item Count Output? View next topic
View previous topic
phi-000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi. Aside from changing the itemCount variables in the Config file, is there a technique I can apply to constrain the total number of items displayed in a meshed RSS feed? Effectively, I'd like to display a subset of a meshed feed.

E.g., Say I have a meshed feed showing 20 items, but only want to display 15 of them.

How can I do that?

Thank you.
phi-000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd really like to get this resolved before we head into the weekend...Anyone?
Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as I'm aware, the best way to do that is with the item count. Not to ask a silly question but why would you pull in 20 items and only display 15? Wouldn't it be easier just to pull in 15?

phi-000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm trying to design a meshed feed with about thirty items that appear one at a time, ordered by pubdate. Also, they should eventually disappear as more current rss items are produced.

The meshed RSS feed's contents are to be made available through a dropdown menu associated with a Google Custom Button (GCB). The GCB API does not make available a technique to truncate the feed. So, all the feed's items, up to 100, are displayed when users activate the GCB's dropdown menu to read the RSS feed's contents.

The feeds I am trying to mesh into one are of distinct character and may be variable in terms of the number of items produced each day; in some cases the number of items produced each day is fixed. Moreover, the proportion of items each source feed delivers is very different; one feed may produce only one item each day and another hundreds.

As is, new items appear in order of pubdate at the top of the meshed feed (which is fine), but old items eventually linger near the bottom of the meshed feed since the number of items that appears for each feed is fixed; e.g., one source feed might display hundreds of items each day, and another source feed only one.

The solution I've been using to date is to apply Yahoo Pipes to truncate the feed. This has turned out to be somewhat of a challenge since Yahoo Pipes and certain Google Services frequently don't play well together.

Finally, as I write this a potential solution has dawned on me; i.e., while I'd like to only display approximately thirty items at a time to conserve bandwidth and maintain performance, a meshed feed with more than 100 entries would produce the effect I'm seeking. Old items would eventually be pushed off the bottom of the feed displayed by the GCB since its API restricts the number of items to 100.

At the same time, 100 items could eventually take up more bandwidth and impact performance. So, I am still interested in learning of a way to truncate the meshed RSS feed.

Maybe an option for the future?

Thanks for the not-so-silly question. :)
phi-000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well...So far so good...except that Google's Custom Button API seems to have been updated, and is showing more than 100 items.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic