FeedForAll Forum Index  
 Home  •  FAQ  •   Search   •  Register   •  Profile   •  Log in
 Simple answers to simple questions. View next topic
View previous topic
juanita driggs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used your wizard to upload my Rss info into my web host's "file manager".

Your wizard confirmed that this was a "Valid Feed".

So exactly where do I locate the actual rss.xml link where I can then enter that http:// link with an rss.xml extention on my website's "file manager" and then tie it to my Rss gif file so someone can then subscribe to my feed?

I still cannot locate the rss.xml link if one actually exists. Is this what your "rss-to-html" script is supposed to accomplish? If so why is it so complicated and obtuse?

My questions are admittedly simple as one would expect from a "newbie". I hope your answer, solution or work through will be as simple.

My last question was never answered. I hope we can do better this time.
Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When you create a feed and save it, the program saves it (by default, you can choose another location if you wish) in the c:\program files\notepage\feedforall\feeds\ directory. If you look in that directory on your hard drive, you'll see the feed that you created (example: yourfeed.xml). You can then manually upload that using your file manager or, if you want, you can use FeedForAll's Publishing utility.

To access the publishing utility, in FeedForAll, go under the Feed menu and left click on Publish. Then left click on the Edit button in the upper right hand corner and specify your FTP Server Path, type, credentials, and directory structure.

The rss2html script has nothing to do with the publishing of Feeds. rss2html takes an existing feed and allows you to translate it into browser viewable content, if you so choose.

juanita driggs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Friend:

I followed your instructions to the letter, found the uploaded "feed" file in my site's "file manager" and then proceeded to subscribe myself to it that way to keep track of things just like any other person subscribing.

Now what is the correct way to go about placing an rss button on my site's index page embedded with the relevant info that would take a visitor to the "subscribe to this feed page"? Should I use one of FeedForAll's buttons? BTW my present software is admittedly a bit clunky(SiteDelux) and only allows an rss/xml "subscribe" button ending with a .gif not a .png extention.

Exactly where do I locate the correct feed path beginning with "http://" that I should be able to enter into Mozilla's "Feed Validator" to confirm that my feed is actually being recognized by aggregators?

I greatly appreciate your help! Thanks to you my learning curve is now a lot further along than it was yesterday at this time.

Best,
Juanita
Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, the RSS button really is just a graphic that links to the xml file that you uploaded. So, let's say that your feed file is called myfeed.xml and that your website is www.whatever.com. That would make your feed link http://www.whatever.com/myfeed.xml

All you have to do is link that feed.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic