FeedForAll Forum Index  
 Home  •  FAQ  •   Search   •  Register   •  Profile   •  Log in
 how to use rss feed with my website? View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
lingoway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi

I want to know how to use rss feed with my website?i have read that make a xml file using a rss feed tool and upload it on the root of website.

but i want to know what happened when i will change the content of my site.should i have to create a new feed with same name or a different name?

waiting for reply.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, what you'll want to do is update your existing feed and republish it to your site. That way any subscribers to your feed are notified of any new items you've added to the feed.

solarfam

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Follow up to that - what do you mean when you say you'll want to update your feed... do you mean open the original feed file in feedforall and add new content as additional items then upload that xml file to my website? I want to make sure people don't get the same feed content repeatedly...

When I subscribed to the feed I created (I don't have a feedreader other than Outlook) I didn't get one feed but seven feeds in my inbox - one for each item in the feed. Is that normal?

Also, the 'title' and 'description' of the feed showed up in the 'author' and 'subject' fields respectively of the email. How do I correct that? I have created feeds using feedburner for a blog and subscribed using same Outlook and that didn't happen.
thanks
Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Right, you'll want to open the existing feed file in FFA, then create new items. It's normal for a feed reader to display each item in a feed as a separate item in the reader.

As for the title and description juxtaposition, that's the way the Outlook RSS Reader displays things by default. You should be able to go into the settings of the Outlook RSS Reader to modify that but I don't know specifically where those settings are located.

solarfam

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not sure it's outlook settings - I have several feeds coming in and NONE of them have the title/description showing up as author/subject line EXCEPT the Feedforall feed I created. Is there a setting in Feedforall I need to change? thanks.
Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hm... well, if you go into FeedForAll and you look at the Items themselves, go under the optional tab and check to see what it has for Author field.

solarfam

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When I checked I discovered the author field requires an email address otherwise it is to remain blank. That's why I posted my question. :)

I couldn't find anything to do with a subject field. This can't be the only time this has happened...not only does it look unprofessional and a little screwy, but when you open the feed it hasn't got the title and description in it because they've been put in the author and subject field.

Any way to fix this?
Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never had this reported before and I don't have access to the MS Outlook Feed Reader, so I can't have a look at it myself to see what you're referring to. Can you post a link to your feed so I can see how it looks in the three feed readers I do have access to?

solarfam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

okay. Here is one of the feeds:
http://www.solarfountainsandmore.com/files/3782836/uploaded/solar%20water%20fountains.xml
It is the first feed I created with Feedforall so if you see something wacky, please let me know. Thanks.
Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I had a look at the feed in the FireFox and Internet Explorer readers as well as a free little RSS Reader I like to use called Snarfer and everything looks exactly as it should. All of the titles and descriptions and links are all where they're supposed to be. I even downloaded the feed into my copy of FFA and had a look at it, it looks good.

solarfam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for taking the time to check on this. It's a relief to know everything looks good. Feels a little like I'm working in the dark because I won't necessarily notice if there ever is a problem since it looks okay to you but not okay to me. Thanks again.
jh99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Buddy, I know your frustration. One of the answers is in the thread however, install Snarfer simply as a tool to check how your feed looks. Forget all of the options suggested by Snarfer and simply put your site down as the feed you want to look at.
BTW feeds are usually put in a folder in the root folder called something like "Feeds" or "Rss" or "Myfeeds" or whatever.
pecesdeacuario

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After learning the basics about RSS, you can go the page of Feedburner service (from Google). I consider it is a very useful resource.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Most better option would be as updating exisiting feed and republish your website. Its a better way to notified of any new items that we have added to our site. As RSS feed is its self is a very useful resource.
adrian49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you're using Wordpress then there are a number of built in feeds.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic