FeedForAll Forum Index  
 Home  •  FAQ  •   Search   •  Register   •  Profile   •  Log in
 xml hyperlink question View next topic
View previous topic
vigodsky

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Need to confirm that the xml hyperlink that FFA associated with my RSS Feed account going back ten years now is still properly formed to meet current web specs. Where within the FFA website would I find this info? I don't see that hyperlink expressed in the "View" drop down menu. Lately I've been unable to validate my feed although I always use the FFA assembling wizard to make sure everything is just so and always construct a very simple, uncomplicated rss feed. I also always get a thumbs-up that I'm about to publish a Valid Feed. Secondarily, this is also my way of seeing if FFA is still actively supported and by whom. Thanks.
Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To view the raw XML content, you can go to View - XML Source. That should display a dialog that shows the raw XML content so you can verify the hyperlink.

vigodsky

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In the View "xml source" nowhere do I see <http://atlantasidestreets.com/Atlanta_Sidestreets.xml>

If it's supposed to be there and isn't where do I navigate on FFA to upload that info?

Many thanks.
Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, apologies, I misunderstood what you were looking for.

The URL associated with your feed isn't controlled directly by FFA but is instead controlled by where the XML file lives on the web server it's hosted on. That is controlled by the web server directory your FTP credentials are tied to.

For example, if your FTP login credentials place you in the root of your web server's host folder, you may have FFA uploading to the directory /htdocs/ or something similar.

So, the first thing you'll want to check is the FTP configuration:

1) Go to Feed - Publish.

2) In the upper right hand corner, click Edit.

What directory do you have specified for your 'Feed Path' ?

Also, if you use a separate FTP program to log in to your web server with the same credentials FFA is configured to use, what directory does that place you in and what directory should the feed be uploaded to so it corresponds with the URL you'd like?

vigodsky

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Many thanks. I may also have to call my web site hoster and see if they may have lost or corrupted this ftp link. I still may have to get back to you eventually so let me say again up front many thanks. It's good to know FFA is still interacting with its users. It's been a long time since I've had to avail myself of some tech input.
vigodsky

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I may have found my problem.
In the Publish "Edit" area I find three lines to fill:

Feed Path
Image Path
Enclosure

When using the Wizard I may have misunderstood the instruction incorrectly entered my website url (http://atlantasidestreets.com) instead of my rss/xml feed path (http://atlantasidestreets.com/Atlanta_Sidestreets.xml).

I hope this will correct the problem. If so, I confess to being the web hoster dummy of the day. This is what can happen when one doesn't use the program frequently enough.

Best,

Ted Vigodsky
Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Right, you're on the right track. We just need to make sure that 'Feed Path' matches the actual directory on the web server the XML file needs to reside within.

vigodsky

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Should I enter the xml feed path on all three available lines, Feed Path; Image Path; and Enclosure or just the Feed Path line? I don't have an image or enclosure to add, a couple of lines about a story for the news readers to pick up.

When I tried to add the actual xml feed path earlier, first only in the Feed Path line, it was a no-go. Same thing happened when I entered the xml feed path on all three lines.

I sense this is something so obvious that it's whizzing right past me.
Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Your web server has a directory structure where it stores the files that are your atlantasidestreets.com website. For example, let's take my web server. When I use an FTP client with my master admin credentials, it places me in the root folder. However, if I want my feed to live on www.feedforall.com, its XML file actually goes in a directory called /htdocs/www/

However, if I were to log in to my web server with my FFA tech credentials, those are tied to the /htdocs/www/ folder by default. When I log in with that account, I'm already in the necessary folder and wouldn't need to specify a feed path.

If you would, try using a separate FTP program (like FTP Commander, WinSCP, Filezilla, etc) and log in to your web server with your FTP credentials.

When you do, it should place you in the host directory tied to your credentials.

From there, you should be able to see any directories you get to interact with.

Also, I suppose just to mention it, it's entirely possible you won't need to put anything in the Feed Path, Image Path or Enclosure Path. It entirely depends on what directory your FTP credentials place you in by default.

vigodsky

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Many thanks. I'll follow your suggestions and hope for the best. I'll also give us both a break and leave you alone for now. May have to get back to you but will wait till tomorrow if I need to.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic